Ginger Apple Pudding- World Scope Encyclopedia

The above photo in the inside cover of the World Scope Encyclopedia cookbook that I mentioned in the previous post. This is another frugal apple recipe.
Ginger Apple Pudding
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3 apples, sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup shortening, melted
Combine 1/4 cup sugar and water to make syrup. Cook apples in syrup till half done. Drain off extra syrup and spread apples over bottom of well-greased square cake pan. Sift together dry ingredients. Add egg, molasses and hot water. Beat well. Add melted shortening, beat well, and pour batter over apples. Bake in a moderate 350 degree oven 40 minutes. Pour extra syrup over top.

2 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Rochelle,

Thanks for visiting my poetry blog. I'm just checking out yours and am delighted to find another lover of old-style foods. I pick up the odd old cookbook at thriftstores, but one of my faves is a weather-beaten, tattered copy of the "Metropolitan Cookbook" - a thin, tiny manual, really - with some great oldies that my mom used to make.
She has a recipe for a rhubarb-apple pudding that calls for mace. It's a family favourite.

Poetikat
P.S. Will add you to my "blog fellows" list for sure!

linda said...

I notice that the photos that were in the older recipe books look more realistic and achieveable than in new magazines (where the photographer spends ages fiddling with food to get it to look perfect). That is why I like older cookbooks - more my style. Some great recipes here. Need to get out my apron!!!