Strawberry Mousse- Retro Betty Crocker


Today being the last day of the month we visited several thrift stores. My husband gets his retirement check on the last day of the month and usually runs a lot of errands for things he needs and I usually go along to see that his spending doesn't get out of control :). He has a thing about buying books to put in his eBay store and then just leaving them sitting and never getting around to posting them.
Today we did find several interesting books. One was a copy of Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook Book (1961). I was actually the one that spotted this book and wanted it for myself. When I got home I looked it up on eBay and was surprised to see it sells for an average of around $30. I only paid $1 and had a 20% off coupon.
The book is known for its' whimsical pen and ink illustrations. They have such a nice vintage appeal. Here is the retro recipe for Frozen Strawberry Mousse, definitely before the cool whip era.

Strawberry or Raspberry Mousse

1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon liquid (fruit juice or water)
1 cup mashed strawberries or raspberries
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Soften gelatin in liquid. Dissolve over hot water, Stir into fruit. Combine cream, confectioners' sugar and salt in chilled bowl. Whip until stiff. Fold into fruit mixture. Turn into refrigerator tray; freeze 3 to 4 hours, or until firm. 6 servings

4 comments:

Lidian said...

I love the 1960s Betty Crockers - this was a great find!

Shay said...

I have made something very similar to this. If you want it not quite so rich, use a good quality yogurt instead of the whipping cream.

If you are married to someone with a real sweet tooth, use Cool Whip or Dream Whip.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Rochelle!

Just popped by in search of mousse for Chocolate Mousse Day.

Would you believe I don't have that cookbook!

Thanks for sharing this mousse recipe, I remember it well:)

mamancaline said...

Hello ! I did the recipe (adaptating à bit) and not fréézing it, what a scrumptious dessert! So I translated it and published it if you want to se it its here and I of course linked it to your blog ;-)
http://www.cestmamanquilafait.com/article-mousse-de-fraise-recette-retro-de-betty-crocker-99301286.html