Flank Steak Teriyaki- Cooking with Herbs and Spices

This recipe is from a BHG booklet I got yesterday-Cooking with Herbs and Spices. It is from 1967, back when flank steak was an inexpensive cut of meat. Around that same time period I remember my Mom would make it into pinwheels, wrapping the edges with bacon and then broiling. It was very tender and flavorful that way. Now that everyone has figured out that flank steak isn't tough just because it is so lean, the price has sky rocketed. I haven't bought one in ages, but I bet this recipe would be very good.

Flank Steak Teriyaki

4 to 6 flank steak pinwheels

4 to 6 pineapple slices

Ginger Marinade

1 tablespoon oil

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons sherry

1 teaspoon ginger

1 clove garlic

Combine all marinade ingredients and pour over meat. Marinate 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 7 minutes, brushing once with marinade. Turn and broil 5 to 7 minutes longer, brushing once with marinade. Add pineapple slices to broiler during last 3 to 4 minutes; brush with marinade. Serve with rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This recipe is absolutely deliciouse! Save the marinade from the broiler, and use as a sauce for the pinwheels and rice. My mom used to make this for our family 30 years ago, when I was a kid. It was always a big favorite, and the aroma in the house was mouth watering! I am so happy I found this on your site, as my family lost the recipe over the years. Thanks!