Pickled Peas Armenian- Poppy Cannon's Can Opener Cookbook

This week I visited one of the local antique malls three times to buy cookbooks. Yes, three times even I have to admit that is excessive! I went so many times because the first time we got there we discovered most of the booths were having 1/2 off on their books. There are two dealers that we visit fairly often as they have good prices and the types of books we look for.
Our first visit was on Thursday so we picked out quite a few good titles and decided to go back the next day as that was payday. Our budget does not need more funds devoted to cookbooks but what the heck. On Friday the booth owner was there and the mall clerk told us she had taken down her 1/2 off sign. However when we got to the booth and said " oh darn we are too late" she told us she would extend the sale for us. This is the same place that my husband got all the vintage applicance booklets for me at Christmas. She commented that someone had bought a lot of her vintage booklets one day in December. I laughed and said, "I know, that was my husband". We had to go back the third time as my husband realized he had missed a volume 2 of a fish cookbook series. Of course we had to buy more than just that book.
I checked out the mall's own bookroom in the back were it was also 1/2 off. Usually they do not have any cookbooks but there was quite a few this time. These were all older books like I collect. I picked up this book: Poppy Cannon's New Can Opener Cookbook, 1968.
This recipe might seem familar as I have seen quite a few new recipes that basically had tomatoes and chili's to this.

Pickled Peas Armenian

"An Armenian appetizer, spicy and unusual"

2 No. 303 cans black-eyed peas, drained
1 cup salad oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, peeled, left whole
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion,
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Place peas in bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Store in refrigerator and remove garlic bud after one day. Store 2 days more, to allow flavors to mingle. To serve place ina large bowl and accompany with Melba toast or buttered toast fingers.

No comments: