Beer Coffee Cake- Nitty Gritty Quick Breads

This recipe come from the Nitty Gritty book Quick Breads by Kyte and Greenbery 1979. I am getting quite a collection of these little oblong books. When I went to the cookbook store I picked up this one and another double sided one- Quiche & Souffle a 2 in 1 cookbook. While looking at their publications listed in the front I noticed the tag line "Books designed with giving in mind". Don't think I ever got one as a gift. I need to get all of mine together and count how many I have.

The net has hundreds if not thousands of references to beer bread or beer muffin/rolls. I don't think I have come across a beer coffee cake before.

Beer Coffee Cake

1 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

2 eggs, well beaten

3 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1 cup chopped walnuts

2 cups chopped dates

12 0z. beer

Lemon Glaze: Mix together,

1 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in eggs. Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, spices, walnuts and dates. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with beer. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until done. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out on wire rack. Spread on Lemon Glaze. Makes 1 coffee cake.

No comments: