Holiday Sweet Potatoes and Jello Salad- No Time To Cook

Here are some more recipies from The No Time To Cook Book by Roslyn Beilly copyright 1969. It is the old fashioned paperback novel size cookbook. No photos just plenty of recipes.

While looking for a side dish to post today I came across two quick holiday recipes. I am fixing Thanksgiving dinner this year for basically the first time. My elderly Mom has always made most of it before, but she is ready to retire from that job. Because I work retail this is the start of our busy season and by the time Thanksgiving gets here I am already tired and don't want to have to slave at the stove too much. I think I will give these recipes a try. I am the only one in my family that really likes sweet potatoes, so I do make them every year. This recipes sounds good, I have not made them with pineapple before.

Holiday Sweet Potatoes

2 cans (1 pound each) sweet potatoes, drained

1 can (8 oz.) pineapple, drained

1/2 cup pecans

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup honey

Arrange the sweet potatoes in a buttered shallow casserole. Sprinkle the pineapple over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with pecans, then brown sugar. Dot with butter. Drizzle honey over all. Heat in a 350 degree oven until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serves 6.

It is traditional in my family to have a Jello salad at Thanksgiving. I usually make that also. I have tried several recipes, usually with cranberries or applesauce. This recipe has both so I am going to make it this year.

Cranberry-Apple Mold

1 package red gelatin

1 cup boiling water

1 can (1 pound) whole cranberry sauce

1 cup applesauce

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, Add cranberry sauce, applesauce, and lemon rind. Turn into mold which has been rinsed in cold water. Chill until firm. Serves 4 to 6.

1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Rochelle, Needed to say how much I enjoy your blog. I too collect vintage cookbooks, especially like advertising leaflets. Will be back...