Today is Guy Fawkes Day

Today my calendar notes it is Guy Fawkes Day. On this day in 1605 a traitor was discovered in the basement of Parliament with thirty six barrels of gunpowder. Just the other day I bought a used nursery rhyme book for my collection and flipping through it I noticed the gunpowder plot rhyme above.
Not many Americans may be familiar with Guy Fawkes Day, but you may have seen the movie V for Vendetta. The main character wears a Guy Fawkes mask and recites the rhyme, he also wanted to blow up Parliament. In Britain the day is remembered by bonfires and fireworks. There is lots of information about the day on the net. One of the sites featured recipes to serve today: Guy Fawkes Day recipes and information.
Some of the news sites said today would be rainy and windy over there but hopefully there were areas that could have outdoor celebrations. I also noticed some of the firework displays were on the weekend instead of today. Here is San Diego we frequently have the public holiday parades and celebrations on the nearest weekend. I guess that is a common practice nowadays. I recently found out that I will have to work on Thanksgiving, but I don't think my family would want to put off the celebration to the weekend. We are thinking of buying one of the pre-cooked dinners that are available now. But that is a subject for another post.