Peach Plum Pie- Dairy Association Cookbook


I received an award from Patty at http://atticfullofclutter.blogspot.com/. She blogs about all sorts of interesting things and always has loads of great photos so go visit her soon for a visual treat. I think I am suppose to pass this on but I am not too good at that sort of thing so if you have a retro blog consider yourself awarded :).
Because I have been coming across so many hot dog recipes I decided to start a new blog just for those recipes. It is http://hotdogsweinersandfranks.blogspot.com/. I cross posted some of the recipes here and will post new ones as I find them.
Today I came across another book I didn't realize I had; modern approach to everyday Cooking. It is an American Dairy Association book from 1966. It is a ring bound book and larger that the usual promotional books. In the back of the book there is a section titled Helpful Information on Dairy Food. Each description starts out like this: Ice Cream- what is it? Cottage Cheese- what is it etc. It seems to me that is rather unnecessary. You would have to lead an awfully sheltered life not to know what ice cream, milk and cottage cheese were. Maybe some people weren't familiar with yogurt in 1966 but the rest well...
Here is their Peach Plum Pie recipe, a good use for summer fruits.
Peach Plum Pie
1 baked pie shell, 9-inch
Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup regular all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 drops yellow food coloring
Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 cup (4-6) diced red plums
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
To prepare Filling: In a 1- 1/2-quart saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cook 2 additional minutes. Blend a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook 1 minute (Do not boil.) Stir in butter, vanilla and food coloring. Cool slightly. Pour into cooled pie shell. Chill. To prepare topping: In a small sauce pan combine sugar, water and plums. Cook until plums are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; sieve and cool to room temperature. Just before serving arrange sliced peaches on top of filling. Spoon on plum mixture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been song tagged by Bella-
I will list 7 of my favorite songs and
tag 7 others to do the same and so on.

My Favorites

1)In my life - the Beatles
2) California - Joni Mitchel
3) Poetry man - Phoebe Snow
4)Me and Bobby McGee - Janice
5) The night they drove old Dixie down -Joan Baez
6) Sister golden hair - America
7) I want you - Bob Dylan


sending it along. to you....

Chef JP said...

First time visitor to your site--- very enjoyable!