Manny's Lamb Stew- Peg Bracken


This is recipe I have actually made. Not recently as I don't eat lamb anymore, but I have made it and remember that it was very good. It is a Peg Bracken recipe and was in two of her books. I really enjoy her sense of humor. She passed away last year at 89. I have almost all her books and have made quite a few of the recipes. They are written in a conversational form so I have reformatted it to make it easier to follow.

Manny's Lamb Stew

2 1/2 pounds lean stewing lamb, shoulder is good- cut in edible-size pieces. Have the butcher bone it for you and ask him please to trim off the fat.
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoon lemon juice
4 carrots, scraped and cut in chunks
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 (1 pound ) can small white onions, drained and rinsed
Brown the lamb in the oil, using a heavy skillet with a lid. Remove lamb and pour out most of oil, leaving enough to saute the onions and garlic, do that. Then return the lamb to the pan and add the broth, flour, and seasonings. Simmer covered for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and small onions. Simmer it all, covered, for 25 minutes. May be made ahead and reheated just before serving. May easily be doubled. Serve with green salad and rolls.

2 comments:

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Sounds really good, but does seem to be a lot of ingredients from someone who hated to cook! I'd look for more shortcuts!

Lidian said...

I love Peg Bracken too, and have several of her books - the hating-housekeeping ones too. I agree wit T.W., it does seem rather ambitious for Peg, though quite good.