365 Ways To Cook Chicken- Tomato-Apple Chicken

Today I went to my favorite library book store. I was surprised that I only found one cookbook I wanted: 365 Ways To Cook Chicken. Usually they have a really great cookbook section. This recipe from the book sounds rather unusual but good. Tomato-Apple Chicken 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness 1 medium onion, sliced 1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced 2 small apples, cored and cut into eights 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about 4 minutes a side, until lightly browned. Scatter onion slices over chicken. 2. In a medium-size bowl, combine tomatoes, brown sugar, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over chicken. Top with lemon slices and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Add apples and cook 10 minutes more, until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and apples to a platter and keep warm. 3. Stir dissolved cornstarch into liquid in pan. Cook over high heat, stirring until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Spoon over chicken and apples. Garnish with parsley. Posted by Rochelle R. No comments:

3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Rochelle!

Your back to blogging!!! I'm so happy!!! How have you been? I hope all is well with you and yours.

I'm surprised there was such a slim selection of books at the library bookstore. But, you did find a winner! I still have a copy of that book. Good choice too!

Thanks so much for sharing and, welcome back!!!

Miriam said...

I have two books by that title: one by Carl Lyren and the other by Cheryl Sedaker. Their publication dates are only ten years apart (1976 and 1986, respectively), but that was enough to put them on different sides of the divide: Lyren's book being "brown and beige" and heavy on the heavy cream, and Sedaker's book being bright with fresh produce.

When I get home I'll have to check the indexes of both books.

Miriam said...

Just as I suspected, Tomato-Apple Chicken is in the Sedaker book. Isn't it a shame that the 365 Ways cookbooks are all out of print? I have five; I should have bought more.