Taco Hero- an oldie from Kraft

While digging around in my recipe clipping box I came across a TV Guide recipe insert from "The 38th Annual Golden Globe Awards" in 1981. Kraft used to put out these inserts fairly often and I have quite a few of them.
This Taco Hero is a variation of French bread pizza. It seems like it would be good to serve while watching a football game or to heat up after coming home from some event.
I have never been a fan of broiling uncooked meat on buns. I would just cook up the meat, seasoning and tomato paste and then spread it on the bread, add the cheese and heat.

Taco Hero

1 lb. ground beef

6-oz. can tomato paste

1-1/4-oz. pkg. taco seasoning mix

1 Vienna bread loaf, cut in half lengthwise

Kraft American Singles Pasteurized Process Cheese Food

Tomato slices

Thinly sliced onion rings

Combine meat, tomato paste and taco seasoning; mix until well blended
Spread half of meat mixture on each half of bread. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; bake at 450 degrees 20 minutes. Top with process cheese food and tomato slices. Continue baking until process cheese food melts. Garnish with onion rings. 8 servings.
Note: To make ahead, prepare as directed. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil; freeze. Bake at 450, 30 minutes.

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

WOW a recipe I can even manage to conger up! Thanks for sharing, Rochelle

I think I'll note it in case I post for the Academy Awards on the 22nd.

Monica said...

sounds interesting!